Scalan the Farm
Scalan also had a working farm attached, a bit like Blairs only on a smaller scale. As early as 1717 the first Master acquired seventeen acres of former shieling ground on the Tom (hill opposite the present building) for cultivation, and shortly afterwards a smaller parcel of flat land just across the burn. On these cereals and vegetables were grown and cattle raised, by which the College became partly self-supporting.
Because of its dual role as residential College and farm, it became the practice from an early date to employ two servants – a lad for general duties and to work the farm, and a woman to keep house for the Master and students.